Puttnam's Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Raging!

4 posters

Go down

Raging! Empty Raging!

Post by Stryker Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:24 am

The Wiki article leads to the unverified statement of someone who claims to have worked on the music.

He states that the Master Tapes were toasted!

RAGE!

YTV probably still has their original broadcast material in a warehouse I bet. farao

Stryker

Back to top Go down

Raging! Empty Re: Raging!

Post by tangcameo Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:48 pm

From the chatter on the discussion section for PPE on imdb.com, it sounds like its highly unlikely YTV would still have the tapes. One person, a former YTV worker I think, said tapes disappeared a lot from the studio by coworkers adding to their home collections back in the 90s (you'd think they'd be on something more complicated than VHS tapes). I bet this was around the same time they used to play Doctor Who. It'd be interested to see if someone could go to the YTV studio and snoop through their shelves if they even have shelves anymore.

I think it was also the guy who said the producer (Bruce Edwards) said the tapes were wiped a while back in Regina.

tangcameo

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug123 Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:36 am

Hi there. Just sort of stumbled across this site when a Twitter conversation turned to Puttnam's and it spurred my curiousity to see what (if anything) of Puttnam's was out on the 'net. I'm the person behind the unverified statement mentioned above (although I'm pretty sure I'm verified as being me lol).

I wrote the lyrics and co-wrote the music for the Puttnam's theme song. The other music co-writer was Rob Bryanton. I worked in the creative servies department of CKCK-TV (now CTV Regina) and the show's producer and main writer, Bruce Edwards, asked me if I'd take a crack at writing the theme song. Great guy, Brruce. One of the wittiest guys I've ever known. He lives in Montreal now. Trivia: Benjamin (the talking moose head) was named after Bruce's young son.

The song took maybe half an hour to write that evening at home. Let's face it, as music goes, it wasn't exactly Beethoven. Simple 1-minor 3rd - 4 - 5 chord structure and pretty juvenile lyrics (but, being a kid's show, juvenile was sort of fitting with the target demo). Bruce liked it, so he handed it over to Rob Bryanton (very talented Regina composer) to record and embellish. Rob wrote all the other music you heard on the show.

For writing the song I was paid the grand total of $250 (and we're talking Canadian money, here lol). Hey, it was a very low-budget show. But I figured "hey, there's a quick $250 I didn't have yesterday.," so I was happy. Then I learned to my delighted surprise that I was going to receive broadcast royalties from SOCAN (the Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada). Woo hoo! Of course, being an employee of CKCK-TV (a CTV affiliate) I was required to share half my royalties with the CTV head office...but, for a while, I'd get royalty checks in the mail every 6 months while Puttnam's was on the air.

In another thread on this site, there's a quote from a boom sound guy named Jay. That's my good friend Jay Robertson. Jay still works in the film and tv industry as a prop master. He's worked on lots of projects but is probably best known as the prop master for Corner Gas (TV and movie).

I don't know about what YTV might have (or not have) in their archives, but I can verify that all the original master 1" broadcast videotapes for the shows were turfed when CKCK-TV management wanted to clear out storage space in the back studio where the tapes were stored. Pity. No one - at least, no one who had the power to stop the tapes from being turfed - had the vision to think about cable channels that would spring up to play old TV shows, or NetFlix type broadcasters.

Who knows? Had things been different, I might still be receiving music royalty cheques. Smile

I think Bruce Edwards might have a collection of all the shows on VHS at his house, but I'm not sure. I used to have a stuffed Caldicott Cat doll but got rid of it years ago. Funny story: CKCK-TV had a big batch of Caldicott Cat dolls made up (could have been a thousand, not quite sure on the amount) but then found out that the factory that made them hadn't attached the eyes securely and they could fall off and become a choking hazard for little kids. So none of the Caldicott Cat dolls could be sold to the public. A few of us took some as souvenirs and the rest were destroyed.

Anyway, this has been kind of fun. Hope this has been interesting to any Puttnam's fans who read this.

Cheers,
Doug

Doug123

Back to top Go down

Post by retrography Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:13 am

Thanks for the info! I liked your song -- juvenile sure as the audience were juveniles, but upbeat and synthy with a touch of jazz, with lyrics and a tune that fit the kid-friendly show well. No high-fidelity version of the song survived though, just the hissy lo-fi copies.

Next time Bruce Edwards is in for a beer, ask him about the tapes and let us know. Lost episodes are something we had that our children and grandchildren can't have.

Oh, and Caldicott C. Catt is still around, retired I think --
Raging! 296d010711afe54f41502be8e4d9dd5d

Last edited by retrography on Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : facebook avatar links change apparently. image now permanently stored)

retrography

Back to top Go down

Post by Stryker Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:20 pm

Woah!  Awesome replies!  Glad I checked this forum since I last posted... 4ish years ago.  Here is some stuff that I have found:

Here's the actor who did Caldicott C. Catt doing a funny rant!

I remember speaking with the owner of this Youtube account who I believe to be his (John Wilson's) daughter and she explicitly stated that they have all 52 episodes on tape... That was 3 years ago approximately when I spoke to her though... She seemed really keen to get them transferred to digital at the time!  I may try to reach out and see if that is still on the table...

LOL at this Facebook photo of Caldicott!

Raging! 1619408_676276755762977_50357863_n

Stryker

Back to top Go down

Post by Stryker Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:10 am

FROM PUTTNAMS PRAIRIE EMPPORIUM ITS CALIDICOTT C. CAT AKA JOHN WILSON ON YOU ME AND YTV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBYv7zxdmzU

John Wilson himself verified that the original master tapes/recordings were actually BURNED in a fire in the parking lot after the show had been canceled. Additionally, John's own VHS copies of the episodes were lost in a recent workshop fire. I wonder if the complete show is truly lost to time at this point?

Stryker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum